Published on:

When to Hire an Employment Lawyer

Hiring an Employment Law Lawyer

Except the life-long self employed (or unemployed, but that is a different matter entirely), we all make a living by working for an employer. Like people, employers come in all different shapes and sizes. Some are wonderful to work for and treat their employees like gold, other, well not so much.  When you are not being treated like gold, but rather re being treated like dirt, it may be time to hire an employment lawyer. But, you must first ask: Why and when-—if ever—should I hire an employment lawyer?

The answer to this questions may surprise you:  hire an employment lawyer if you think that your legal rights are being violated and you know that you have proof, in writing, of the violations. Why? Because an employment lawyer advise you as to what your legal rights are and what you should do, regardless of what phase of the employment process you are in, to protect your rights.  If you contact an employment lawyer early in the process, they can help you navigate a very sticky situation.

When should you hire an Employment Lawyer

Quick answer: As soon as you realize you need one. You need to lawyer up in a situation like this so that you understand the playing field. You must know your rights, the legal options available to you, and what you can do to make sure you protect your rights. In other words, you hire a lawyer early in the process if you want to be able to strategically deal with your situation in a way that gives your the other hand and not the employer who is taking advantage of you. Waiting too long to hire an employment lawyer can drastically reduce those options. Or, if you wait too long, you may find you have no options because the statute of limitations or deadlines that you must comply with (such as making a claim with the EEOC) has expired.

Despite popular wisdom (from those who are not trained in the law, but like to talk a good game), you can hire an employment lawyer to advise you, even if you have not been fired. This could be when you are first hired and the promises that were made to you have not been kept by the employer, if you are presented with documents after you start work and you are not sure whether to sign them, or if you feel you are being sexually harassed or discriminated against because of your race, age, gender, national origin, disability, religion, or some other characteristic protected by law. While you may need to pay and attorney for a consultation, it may be worth it to you because you may feel as if what the employer is doing is unfair, but it may not be illegal or, alternatively, it may be illegal, and not doing something about it legally, may be jeopardizing your right to sue.

The most likely time that you may need an employment lawyer is when you leave the employer, whether voluntarily or because you are fired. If you have been fired and you think it is because of a discriminatory or retaliatory reason, then you should talk to a lawyer to see if you have a claim.  Or, if you are being laid off and presented with a severance package, get counsel to assist you in reviewing the proposed package. Similarly, if you feel that you have not been paid all the money that is owed to you, regardless of what the employer say, a good employment lawyer that specializes in pay disputes can help you sort through the situation and get the money that you are owed.

Call (404) 923-7497

For over 25 years, Attorney Robert J. Fleming has been handling employment pay disputes, dental malpractice and medical malpractice lawsuits for individuals and families who have been injured or died as a result of the negligence of others in the Atlanta, Georgia area. He is a partner in the law firm of Katz Wright & Fleming LLC, LLC and regularly handles cases in Atlanta as well as Alpharetta, Brookhaven, Chamblee, College Park, Duluth, Decatur, Doraville, Johns Creek, Jonesboro, Lawrenceville, Norcross, Peachtree City, Riverdale, Roswell, Sandy Springs, Stone Mountain, Smyrna, Peachtree City, and other cities in Georgia. He is committed to making a difference in his clients’ lives. If you or family member feel as if you have been unlawfully discriminated against at work or not fully paid what you are owed and would like quality legal representation or if you would just like to consult about a potential case, contact Robert J. Fleming directly on (404) 525-5150 or contact us online.

Contact Information