The placement of dental implants is a surgical procedure that comes with many potential complications. Dental implants are designed to be a permanent replacement for teeth and as such are anchored into the jaw. However, with an increased rate of the placement of dental implants comes more injuries and complications from these procedures. The following are common bad outcomes from dental implants, and in many cases, are the direct result of dental malpractice committed by the dentist who installed the dental implant:
- Facial nerve damage from the implant being placed into the nerve under the tooth. Common signs and symptoms include numbness, loss of sensation, and pain in the jaw, lips, chin and tongue. It is common to have pain and numbness at the same time or alternating pain and numbness.
- failure of the implant to anchor into the jaw, this is known as failed osseointegration. The most common sign of this is that the implant is very loose or falls out.
- infection of the tissue surrounding the implant. Symptoms of this condition are similar to all other infections, redness, tenderness and swelling in the affected area and fever, headaches and/or irritability.
- infection of the jawbone surrounding the implant, this known as osteomyelitis. Symptoms of osteomyelitis are swelling, tenderness and redness in the infected area of the jaw, irritability, fever, or malaise.
- a hole in the sinus caused by the dental implant being placed through the mouth/jaw area and into the sinus. This is known as a perforated sinus.
Many of these problems are caused by dental malpractice. Additionally, many of the injuries that are suffered as a result of the dental malpractice are permanent unless they are diagnosed and treated very soon after the injury has occurred. Many of the most serious injures caused by the negligent placement of dental implants in Georgia can only be corrected by subsequent oral surgery to remove the implant, explore the site of the injury, and correct whatever damage to the mouth or jaw that is causing the injury and resulting symptoms. That is why it is imperative that anyone who has suffered and injury in Georgia due to the placement of a dental implant to seek advice from an experienced dental malpractice attorney as soon as possible after the injury. This will ensure that you get the follow-up care and treatment that is required to give you every chance of recovering.
For more than 20 years, Attorney Robert J. Fleming has been handling dental malpractice and medical malpractice lawsuits for individuals and families who have been injured or died as a result of the negligence of others in and around the Atlanta, Georgia area, including Alpharetta, Austell, Brookhaven, Chamblee, College Park, Duluth, Decatur, Doraville, Hapeville, Johns Creek, Jonesboro, Lawrenceville, Norcross, Peachtree City, Riverdale, Roswell, Sandy Springs, Stone Mountain, and Smyrna. If you have been seriously injured and would like quality legal representation or if you would just like to consult about your potential case, contact Robert J. Fleming directly on (404) 525-5150 or contact us online.